Thursday 25 April 2013

Lest we Forget

Hi everyone, how are you?

We have a brand new sketch challenge for you at CAS - Colours and Sketches. As soon as I saw this sketch I knew exactly what I wanted to do. But first, a little about today in Australia.

Today is ANZAC day. Anzac stands for Australia & New Zealand Army Corps.

Originally, on the 25th April every year we honoured the men and woman who fought at Gallipoli during World War I.

 These days we commemorate ALL those who have served and died in military operations for their country. Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the first campaign that led to major casualties for Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.

Anzac Day is a national public holiday and is considered by many Australians to be one of the most solemn days of the year. Marches by veterans from all past wars, as well as current serving members of the Australian Defence Force and Reserves, with allied veterans as well as the Australian Defence Force Cadets and Australian Air League and supported by members of Scouts Australia, Guides Australia, and other uniformed service groups, are held in cities and towns nationwide. The Anzac Day March from each state capital is televised live with commentary. These events are generally followed by social gatherings of veterans, hosted either in a public house or in an RSL club, often including a traditional Australian gambling game called two-up, which was an extremely popular pastime with ANZAC soldiers. The importance of this tradition is demonstrated by the fact that though most Australian states have laws forbidding gambling outside of designated licensed venues, on Anzac Day it is legal to play "two-up".

Here is the sketch that we have for you to follow -


To me, this was the perfect sketch for a card that I had in mind for a very good friend of mine who recently lost her nephew who was serving Australia in Afghanistan. It is such a sad time. His wife gave birth to their first child not long after his death. 

So, here is my card that I have made -


(Note: For our challenge at CAS - Colours and Sketches you must use a stamp on your card. After I have done everything, I realised that I haven't! I hope Jacqueline will forgive me this time. This card does mean quite a lot to me so I hope you will all forgive me too)


Everywhere you go, there are stalls where you can buy commemorative pins, poppies etc. I found this pin that is especially for the diggers (our soldiers) who either fought or died in Afghanistan.

I made my own poppy using my ornament punch (just snipped off the top), crushed up the paper and secured everything with a brad. I decided to add the commemorative pin to the front of the card.


I would also like to add the Ode of Rememberance -


They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.


LEST WE FORGET




Thanks so much for looking xx

10 comments:

  1. oh gosh Kylie, this is so moving and your post is a real tribute to all those who served.
    Your card is perfect and so fitting x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Kylie and a beautiful card. Perfect for the day.
    Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful post Kylie and a beautiful card too, love the handmade poppy - a very fitting tribute - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful post Kylie and a lovely card. Will you be baking Anzac biscuits? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a touching card. I love the inclusion of the pin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Kylie for a beautiful tribute to veterans. Your card is gorgeous. The poppy reminds me of my grandfather who was a WWI vet and always gave out paper poppies on Vetrans day here in the States. Thanks agsin for a gorgeous card and fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kylie, When I first saw your card I thought it was quite sombre, beautiful yes, but solemn. Now I've read your post I find it touching and sincere. The poppy is stunning, love that you made it and the pin is a perfect touch. Even though our Remembrance day is 11th November here in the UK I have certainly 'Remembered Them' today because of your card.Thank you,

    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Kylie. What a nice holiday like out Veterans Day here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card, Kylie. Love the poppy you made and the occasion you made this card for as well.. very touching.
    Congrats on your top 3 at My Time To Craft :)
    Michaela xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely card and a lovely post, Kylie!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - they make my day!!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.