Sunday 17 January 2016

Happy 21st Aidan

Well! Today is the day my son turns 21. Aren't I feeling just a touch old this morning....

I am very grateful and blessed with my only child. Aidan is a wonderful and caring person. He has an old school attitude - open the door for others, give up a seat for ladies or the elderly and has the respect to call his seniors sir and ma'am when serving them at work. 

We've had our ups and downs but I wouldn't change anything. I wouldn't do it over again. He is my son and I love him dearly. 


Here is the card I've made for him using his favourite colours -


I used orange brushos sprinkled on my craft mat and misted with water. I then smooshed my watercolour paper into the ink. I have a black acrylic dabber so I dipped my wet paint brush into the bottle and flicked the paint over the panel. I die cut the numbers and used the HLS Mix Mash set for the OMG and Happy Birthday. 

OMG is right! 

I would like to enter my card into the following challenges -

Fantasy Stampers - All about the Boy
Seize the Birthday - Topping = CAS
Time Out - Birthdays


**********************************


For those of you who may be interested, here is a recap of my day back on the 17th of January 1995.

  • Up at 7am to get ready for my obstetrician appointment. My son wasn't due until the 15th February so a few weeks to go yet! I also had other appointments scheduled for today.
  • Mentioned to my dad that I had a feeling I was going to have the baby. Because I had my doctor appointment there was no concern and continued to get ready.
  • Off I went to my appointment at 9am. My dad had taken my brother with him for the day as he was driving to a number of businesses he was looking to purchase. My step-mother was at work. My mum was away on holidays which had been planned knowing my due date was in Feb. Mum was to be my birthing partner.
  • Saw my obstetrician and mentioned that I had a few 'signs' that I may have the baby. He didn't really take much interest, didn't examine me and sent me on my way. I was 19 :)
  • Off I drove to the other side of town to have the baby capsule fitted in my car. The appointment was at 11am. I got there a bit early and waited for my turn.
  • Once the capsule was fitted, I decided to go to a shopping centre and grab a few things.
  • 12pm - My waters break in Woolworths. The staff are amazing and help me put my groceries through and offer to call me an ambulance. I told them I was ok and would drive to the hospital. When they found out the hospital was back on the other side of town they offered again. I declined and said I was fine! I did ask to use the phone (no mobile phone back in those days) to try and get hold of my dad or step mother. 
  • Get in my car - starts to pour down rain!
  • Driving to the hospital I get my first contraction. Wasn't too bad! That was easy, I thought!
  • Get to the hospital and drive around for about 15 minutes looking for a car park. Couldn't find one that was close but that was ok.
  • 1.10pm I get to the nurses station in the maternity section. I told her my waters had broken. She asked had I had any contractions to which I answered yes. When was your last contraction she asked. As soon as she finished her sentence I had a massive contraction. From there on in they were about 1 minute apart.
  • My step mother, dad and brother arrive at the hospital. Jenny takes on the role of birthing partner due to my mum being away. 
  • 5.35pm I gave birth to Aidan. 6pds and 48cm. AND I did it drug free! His APGAR score at birth was 3. Not good! I watched the midwife lift his arms and they fell lifeless down beside him. The next few minutes seemed like an eternity until they finally got him 'going' and ended up with an APGAR score of 8. Phew!
  • Aidan was in the special care until for 3 days due to fluid on his lungs and low dextrose levels.


It was the most amazing experience I was ever to have. Happy Birthday, son. Love you to the moon and back. Mum xx


11 comments:

  1. Congrats to your son Kylie, and to you!! Gorgeous CAS card, love the OMG sentiment, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your son Kylie, and you are one brave woman who decided to drove yourself to the hospital and that too at the age of 19.....thank you for sharing your experience with us. Kudos to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your son Kylie, and you are one brave woman who decided to drove yourself to the hospital and that too at the age of 19.....thank you for sharing your experience with us. Kudos to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome guy card Kylie, happy birthday to Aidan. You are one brave lady, thanks for sharing your experience, Aidan is blessed to have you as his mum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed ready your blog today, happy and very nervous memories for you. Love the colour combination on the special birthday card, perfect card for your special son x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just like you to drive yourself! Loved, loved reading that timeline. And one stunning cadd for Aiden. Happy Birthday Aiden, I hope your Mum and Grandad spoilt you rotten x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant card Kylie and a lovely tribute to your son. Your story is a little like my experience of giving birth to my son who will also be 21 this year. He arrived 7 weeks early and frightened me and his dad out of our wits when he failed to breathe for the first 2 minutes of this life. He is fine now luckily.
    Thank you for joining us at Fantasy Stampers.
    Crafty hugs
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a memory! What a glorious day! And what a fabulous card for this wonderful son of yours that you raised so well to be respectful of others! Thank yu fro sharing this card at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Kylie, that experience is sure to stick in your mind! You saound a bit like my daughter's dancing teacher who when she couldn't wake her hubby, got in the car and managed to give birth 30 mins after arriving!
    This is a super card with great colours and a smooshed background! So pleased to see you at Fantasy Stampers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun post and a gorgeous card. Thanks for playing along with Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - they make my day!!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.