Sunday 11 August 2013

Just Fishin' Around

Hi and happy Sunday to everyone! Hope your weekend has been wonderful so far.

I have a nice quiet house to myself at the moment and decided to get stuck into some craft.

On Friday I went to the Craft and Quilt Show here in Canberra. Wow!! I has just blown away, firstly, by the quilts on display. I was just amazed at these works of art and can only hope that someday I may be able to make something that is even slightly in that class. 

I bumped into friendly stalker No. 1 at the craft fair - Hi Phillipa!!!!!

I bought some bits and pieces at the craft side of the show. Nothing very exciting, really. Just some extra tapes and little scissors for fussy cutting (as I need all the help I can get when trying to cut out an image). I also bought some storage trays for my Spectrum Noir pens which makes it a LOT easier to get to them.

Friendly stalker No. 2 decided to try and rearrange my markers but that resulted with me slapping her hands out of the way and kicking her out of the house. Hi Trudi!!!!!!



Now onto what I have made today. 



This has been a bit of a mission for me. I saw this idea in the latest SU catalogue and had to try it. It is to use the Sweet Treat Cups with water. Take a look -



I have used the following supplies -

Stamp - Fishin' Around (SU) coloured with markers
Sweet Treat Cup (SU)
Window sheet (SU)
'Friends' brad from my mum's stash

The thing about this was trying to create the seal on the cup so the water wouldn't leak. I tried hot glue like it is suggested in the catalogue but it just wouldn't work for me. I couldn't get the glue to seal properly and there would be water leaking ever so slowly out of the cup. 

So I was thinking that I could use a silicon or something like it that would be water resistant and create the seal. I didn't really have anything that would do the job, though.

So I ended up just peeling away the cover of the adhesive that is on the cup itself and adhered it straight to the window sheet (small square that I had cut to fit). I then flipped it over and covered the edge with Glossy Accents. I waited and waited and waited for it to dry and it seems to have done the perfect job. 

I stamped the image again onto the white panel and used a 4cm circle punch to cut out the area for the cup to sit in. 

In the end, I'm not fussed on the overall design of this card. I will keep working on it. It was a lot of fun putting this together once the hurdles of sealing the water in were overcome.

Here is a close up of the water and fish in their bowl -




I have used Gold Stickles for the treasure in the chest and Diamond Stickles in the water.

I would like to enter this card into the following challenges -


Repeat Impressions DCC731 - Water Element


All that Stickles - Any colour stickles may be used


Thanks so much for looking xx




12 comments:

  1. Love it... gotta give it a try... thanks for linking at ATS tis week...HUGS..SK :)
    SKdigis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kylie, Thanks for calling by.
    Love this, what a super idea its so cute.
    Hugs Mau xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool - love how you made the fishbowl with water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool. I didn't know you could add water to those cups and they would seal tight. Might have to add the cups to my wish list for my next order. This is so cute. Love the sweet image you have inside the "fish bowl" ... and the treasure chest full of "gold" is so creative. Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kylie, This is brilliant....I can't believe you used water!!! way cool. That Glossy Accents is GREAT stuff...that is what I used on mine when the glitter was escaping! I love this and am so glad you joined us at Just Us Girls this week....fantastic job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter bought that stamp and the cups so she can made a card just like that. I love the stickles in the treasure chest. Thanks for playing at ATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really pleased to hear you solved your leak problem Kylie! The fishes look super cute peeping through the water. Now I know you've cracked it ;) I'm thinking some type of Christmas snow globe version would be fun too! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I have never seen water used on a card before, so congrats on making the cup stick, and the result is fab.

    Bev :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your tenacity to get this card done to your expectations! It's really very cute! Thanks for playing with Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Kylie, what an amazing job, so sweet and what patience you have! I seem to have stopped getting your posts so have subscribed again!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - they make my day!!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.