I haven't felt like doing a lot of card making lately. I am so busy behind the scenes with all my blogs and challenges that time just doesn't permit me to craft 'for fun'.
Today I made a conscious effort to make something that didn't 'need' to be made. Well, actually, I tell a lie. I haven't sent off one Christmas card yet.... I actually don't even have enough.... better start making some!
I love making shaker cards. I hate making shaker cards. Make sense?
I love the end result but to me it is a LOT of hard work with getting the tape just right and most the time my die cuts get out of shape while trying to put it all together. The sequins can stick to the tape on the inside of the shaker. All fixable but plenty more steps required. Anyway, as much as I love making them, I tend not to due to the time involved.
Today I decided I AM going to make a shaker card. I had seen where other crafters have used a fuse tool or even their sewing machine to create their shaker element. Not having a fuse tool left me with the sewing machine option - back to that in a minute.
Here is my card -
It was getting a little dark by the time I was trying to take my photo so it didn't turn out the best.
A close up of the shaker element -
I even threw some snow-like 'stuff' in there which is very fine and it doesn't fall out!
You are probably thinking that the time spent sewing up everything and putting this together is just as time consuming as the traditional way to make a shaker card - well, it wasn't!
I made two cards which took me about 20 minutes all up to complete. I was lucky where I had backgrounds already made up that I could grab. This one here is where I was practising the Faux Mother of Pearl technique.
For this card I used a laminating pouch. I tore it in half and cut it down to size. I took it and the backing panel to my sewing machine and stitched up three sides leaving the top open.
Before I added all my sequins and 'snow', I embossed the sentiment (from Happy Little Stampers Bold Birthday Sentiments
and Everyday Sentiments
) with silver powder. This was really easy to do with the backing already in place. I find it hard at times to emboss on plastic or vellum but having it already attached it gave it extra stability.
I then just filled the pocket with my sequins and I was able to get heaps more in there than I would in a normal shaker card. I quickly stitched up the top and done!
I adhered it to my white panel with double sided tape and then again onto my card base. This was a seriously easy shaker card to make.
My second card uses a vellum front but I will be posting that in a couple of days time :)
I would like to enter my card into the following challenges -
Thanks so much for popping by xx